Thursday, March 29, 2012

The Months That Were: January through March

Well look at that...March has (almost) come and gone and we are now (almost) officially a quarter of the way through the year. You know that saying, 'the days are long, but the years are short...'?

Yeah, that pretty much sums it all up.

Anyway, because I'm a finance person, I live my life primarily around quarter close, so the end of March seemed as good a time as any to revisit my 2012 list, just to see how things are going...

------------------------------

1) Clean/reorganize my closet. - Haaaa...no. If anything, it's actually gotten worse.

2) Institute a monthly date night with Steve. - So far, so good. We've done a movie night in, after Brigid went to bed (no cell phones allowed, which is tough for us...), a mid-afternoon brewery date for his birthday, and a basketball night out, which was probably my favorite of the three.
 
Although, the brewery date did include dinner (at 4PM...we know how to roll with the early birds, over here...) at Flip Burger, home of the s'more (with nutella) and Krispy Kreme doughnut milkshakes...and that's tough to top, right there.

3) Make sure one of those monthly dates is a really, really nice dinner somewhere. - I'm still waiting.

4) Put together a Christmas/Advent activity calendar for Brigid. - Like I would ever actually take the time to plan this far ahead...

5) Do one Pinterest-found craft or implement one Pinterest-inspired design idea each month. - Eh, not so good. I haven't been spending as much time as I like on Pinterest lately. I really need to work on that. My time won't waste itself, after all...

6) Call my college friends at least once a month. - Do text messages count?

No. No, they do not. Must. Get. Better.

7) Facetime with my sister(s) once a week. - This one...well, this one, we totally own! Brigid LOVES facetiming with her Auntie Jess, and I like actually seeing my sister every week.
 
Except for the week she was on her honeymoon, anyway. I mean, really? She couldn't have found time to talk with me from Antigua?

8) Make a meal entirely on my own (I don't cook, so this might be the biggest one of the year!) - I tried to make my own butternut squash soup, to work up to this whole meal thing, but once I got past cutting up the squash, Steve took over because he just thought it would be easier.
 
This. Will. Happen.

9) Create an art wall in my staircase. - No.

10) Organize a playroom for Brigid. - No.

11) Organize a workspace for me. - No.

12) Give up meat for a month. - No.
 
Well, this was a rough stretch of the list, wasn't it?

13) Take Brigid on a picnic in the park, just the two of us. - Oh, yeah. We've done it once already, but I have big plans to do it at least a dozen more times this year.

14) Read at least one book a month. - I am actually ahead of the game on this one. I made it through all three Hunger Games books, and two of the Dragon Tattoo books by early March, before realizing my reading selections had been especially depressing this year. So, I took a break to read both the Tina Fey and Mindy Kaling books.
 
It was a nice break. It was a FUNNY break.
 
Now it's on to the final Dragon Tattoo book, then...I don't know. Suggestions?

15) Take Brigid to South Bend for a weekend. - I'm starting to think this probably won't happen this year. Vacation is getting scarce, and it's only March.

16) Get a mirror or painting for the dining room wall. - Not yet.

17) Do the 30 Day Shred for the full 30 days. - Oh, I did it, all right. But I do NOT look like Jillian Michaels, and I would like my 30 days back now, please.

18) Research/practice meditation. - No.

19) Find a 'mommy and me' class of some sort for Brigid and I to attend. - No.

20) Write something, anything, not blog related. - No.

21) Take a bubble bath once a month, just because. - Yes. Just because.

22) Take one lunch break a week, even if it's only 15 minutes, to sit somewhere quiet and recalibrate/reflect/replan the next few days. - No. In fact, I am failing miserable at this one.

23) LAPS everyday. - Ditto.

24) Implement a $50/month budget (for all gratuitous expenses: make-up, lunches, coffee, clothing, accessories), and stick to it. - January and February? Excellent, excellent work by yours truly. March?
 
Eh, not so much. A $100+ trip to the Gap outlet kind of did me in.
 
But. But! I followed that up with a trip to Target where I didn't buy anything for myself, not even the brightly colored sunglasses I tried to talk myself into buying, AND I managed to get out for $30. So, back on the shopping wagon, I am...

25) Give up carbs for January and February. Except maybe birthday cake, because I am not a machine. - HAAAAAA! No. Maybe April and May?

2 comments:

  1. At least you are honest about yourself on what you achieved and what you didn't. What is LAPS? I have been good with the budget, but only because there is just no money to spend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, these are tough resolutions! I resolved to work out 6 days/week for a month with the 30 day shred, and I quit after 2 days. So maybe you are being hard on yourself. You did do something HUGE! And the reading! I say that I don't have time to do the shred because I have to keep my book reading goals. But you did both! Woo hoo!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, if you'd like...I'd love to hear from you!