Tuesday, January 24, 2012

I read a book!

Actually, I read three books this month, which means I'm already a quarter of the way through my 2012 goal of TWELVE! WHOLE! BOOKS!, even though I feel like I maybe cheated a bit, as those three books consisted of The Hunger Games series.

But, still, three books! That's one book away from topping my entire total from 2011, so I'll take what I can get right now.

I ended up landing on these books to start my year because, well, we already owned them. And my husband had already read them, and I knew he was going to want to see the movie at some point, and I absolutely REFUSE to see a movie where he knows the ending and I don't.

So, now I know the ending. HA, Steve! Just...ha.

(He totally doesn't care, by the way...)

But, even after reading all three books, I'm not exactly sure how I feel about them. I didn't really like the main character all that much, although I'm not entirely sure if that's because I didn't like the character herself or if I just didn't like the situations she was constantly finding herself in. Sure, I was rooting for her to succeed against all odds, but it was more because I wanted to see the peripheral characters succeed, and that couldn't happen without her. The subject matter of the books is dark, dark, dark, so there is no way to wrap things up with a 'happily ever after' bow, and while I don't really find that neccessary to enjoy a book, the entire thing just left me a little...unsettled.

Which, I guess, explains why I can't figure out what my opinion is on things, one way or the other. It might take me awhile to make up my mind, it seems...

And this is why I need to find a new book club, obviously.

(Also, oddly enough, my ambivalence on the books themselves has IN NO WAY diminished my excitement to see the movies, when they finally come out. I get goosebumps seeing the action I've pictured in my head come to life in the trailers/pictures that have been released so far.

I am as confused by this development as you are...

Maybe this means unsettled really does equal love, in my mind?

I DON'T KNOW!!)

5 comments:

  1. Yay for reading!!! I haven't picked up the HGs and I don't plan on it, but I do know my sister read all three in a week. She's not a reader, so that means they must be pretty good! :) Can't wait to hear what you're reading next!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been reading a lot lately too, The Hunger Games being one of them. I really liked the book too, but it is dark like you said. When I read, I like to go back and forth between serious stuff, mysteries, and then fluff books (like romance or girly books). Can't wait to see what you read next! Heather

    ReplyDelete
  3. my sister just told me i needed to read the Hunger Games but i told her there were just too many books i wanted to read so i probably wouldn't get to them. just seems funny to read young adult books when i should be reading something else. interesting to hear what you think about them though!

    http://spinning-threads.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad to hear someone else had the same reaction to them! All of my friends just gushed about the books, but I was also left unsettled. Not really sure how I felt about them. I enjoyed reading them, and am definitely excited about the movie, but when people ask me how I liked them, I have trouble asking. Unsettled is the perfect work to discribe it. Thanks for making me feel like I'm not the only one who felt that way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woo! Congrats on getting through three books. I still haven't gotten around to the hunger games myself. Not enough hours in the day for all my reading.

    I think if a book moved you, there's no reason that it has to move you in a happy way to mean that you loved or enjoyed. I loved the Fault in Our Stars by John Green, but I bawled and bawled through it.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, if you'd like...I'd love to hear from you!