Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Sugar Rush

One of my resolutions/'things to do' this year was to give up sugar for the months of January and February. Part of this decision was driven by my sister's upcoming wedding in the Dominican Republic, because...goodbye to jeans and sweaters and hiding from the general public, and hello to bathings suits and cameras and pictures that will be around for-e-ver.

Things are definitely not beach or wedding ready in the weight department, you know?

But the other part of the decision hinged on my ridiculously crazy sweet tooth, and the fact that I can shovel through a bag of M&Ms like nobody's business if I don't monitor myself incredibly carefully.

Oh, and also, the realization that all of those Oreos I consumed while pregnant may just be the cause of my daughter's own sweet tooth didn't hurt. Thankfully, her sweet tooth extends just as much to grapes as it does to chocolate at the moment, but who knows how long that will last?

One way or another, I need to set a better example for her.

And I'm trying. Really, I am.

But then, I had a bad day yesterday. And it kind of compounded a couple of other bad days that have been had recently. And Steve was traveling for work. And Brigid didn't want to go to bed. And I didn't really want to deal with any of it. So I took to stress eating any form of sugar I could find in the house, which just happened to be stale candy corn.

I'm pretty sure that's the definition of a sugar problem right there, because candy corn isn't my sugar of choice on a good day, but stale? There was probably a better decision to be made at that moment, is what I'm saying.

I'm a work in progress, I guess. Here's to making that better decision today!

4 comments:

  1. Ooooh that is the worst!! I gave up sweets last Lent and could literally smell chocolate through the wrappers in the grocery stores. I think eating it on bad days is okay-- and you shouldn't beat yourself up about it-- but next time, try eating an orange (or another piece of fruit you love). I only say an orange because you can work your frustration out on it by peeling it with your hands :) Good luck on this challenge!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a very bad sweet tooth as well. If I had to choose anything to eat, it would definitely be candy, cookies, cakes, etc. I usually try to eat a piece of fruit if I am craving something sweet. We all have bad days though, so don't get discouraged. Heather

    ReplyDelete
  3. My suggestion is stock up on pre-portioned fruits and "healthy" sugars. Sugar is not the enemy, refined sugar is. Small oranges are well priced right now, and very sweet! Small varieties of apples, no sugar added apple sauces, small portioned yogurt. Dried fruit and nut mixes, fruit leather, and granola type bars are also really great for quick portioned options.

    Also if you're replacing artificial sweeteners to "cut out" sugar, don't! It only makes those cravings for real sugar worse. So if you're a sweet tea drinker or use it in your coffee, go ahead and have that little bit.

    Also try and realize why you're food seeking, instead of going to the kitchen, go do something else for ten minutes, and if you're still hungry after that, then it's likely you probably could use a small snack.

    Don't get down because of a bad day, just start fresh tomorrow. Rare cheat days should not destroy your resolve.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh no, stale candy corn. it must've been really bad. i hope the rest of your week is waaayyy better, at least M&M and Oreos better :)

    spinning-threads.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, if you'd like...I'd love to hear from you!