Tuesday, January 31, 2012

State of the Budget

Since it is officially the end of January (insert the usual freak out here about how quickly this year is moving, already, and other such stuff that makes me feel generally old…), I thought now might be a good time to hold myself accountable on the internet for the state of things…particularly those things involving my resolve to STOP SPENDING ALL OF THE MONEY, FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS GOOD, WOMAN, SHOW SOME RESTRAINT FOR ONCE IN YOUR LIFE!!

So, yeah. That.

I would have to say I’m a work in progress, I think.

Personally, I’ve done a decent job of things. I’ve removed myself from almost every email list that I used to be on, so I’m no longer tempted by all of the pretty pictures that used to show up in my inbox every day, and I’ve found that without daily reminders of whatever sale happens to be going on right this very moment, I don’t have the need to spend-just-to-save. And more importantly, I haven’t been inside a Target for all of 2012.

That’s right. I win. Target loses. It has nothing on me!

(As long as I don’t try to go inside of one, anyway…)

With all of these safeguards in place, I’ve not had much of a problem keeping myself within my $50 limit for frivolous purchases, even with a dinner and lunch out, plus a refill on some ‘essential’ make-up (otherwise known as foundation, not a 300th color of eye shadow), so I’d consider this month a win from that perspective.

In regards to the family budget? Eh…

I have not been quite so successful.

There was the trip to Home Depot to pick up paint samples that ended with me hauling home a new shelf, a folding table, and a can of chalkboard spray paint. None of which were really needed, but all of which were really needed in the heat of the moment. In hindsight, though, I am still pretty happy that I bought these things, so I’m going to cut myself some slack. Same goes for the more-expensive-than-it-needed-to-be Bed, Bath, and Beyond k-cup order I placed, because I bought all seasonal flavors that were on sale, so I got more for my money, and now I’m set for a good month or two, at least.

But the two trips to Bath and Body Works, to buy more candles and more soaps when I already own ALL of the candles and ALL of the soaps? I should maybe not do that in the future. Same goes for visits to the Pottery Barn outlet, to buy clearance Christmas decorations. And trips to Costco for veggie burgers and spinach that end up costing A LOT more than the price of veggie burgers and spinach.

In fact, I probably just shouldn’t be allowed in Costco at all, anymore.

I mean, it worked for Target, right?

3 comments:

  1. I'd say if you've managed to stay within your $50 budget, that's pretty impressive! I didn't eat out at all this month (!!!) and spent exactly $198 at the grocery store and $24 at Walmart (ugh). I'd rather shop Target, buuuut I never leave there without spending $20 more than I planned. What's helped us is writing down everything we're spending so we can see where it's going. Also, we are taking our money out in cash, so once it's gone-- it's gone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You haven't been inside a Target in 2012 yet??!?! :) That is impressive. I went to two Targets just last night.

    Good luck with the rest of the year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. seriously, everytime we go to Costco we spend a small fortune! it's better to just NOT go in. as for Target, i've been there numerous times this year but have stopped being so obsessed with the clearance clothing. thats' good. i find myself obsessed with shopping at Goodwill... and shoes. i keep ordering them online. i need more restraint!

    http://spinning-threads.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, if you'd like...I'd love to hear from you!